Thursday, December 22, 2011

Spike Lee's Documentary

A couple weeks ago we were given the opportunity to see a documentary by Spike Lee about the utter devastation in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. I have never been to New Orleans, but I remember seeing the terror the hurricane brought to so many people through the news. Nothing, however, touched me the same way that this documentary did. Hearing from the actual people, I was actually angered that their true pain was never really captured by newscasters and the story of previous hurricanes that the city had survived. Watching the film and seeing the story of the people changed my view and brought the story back to life in my eyes.
In 2005 I was a student going into seventh grade at Sparta Middle School when the hurricane hit. I was concerned about the people and I really wanted to make a change. So I set up a meeting with my school's vice principal. I wanted to host a benefit. We finally met up in October and she told me that people were already past that issue so it wasn't important anymore. This idea had been such a passionate candle in my heart. I could't believe my ears, but as a 12 year old kid I just allowed myself to be defeated and not pursue the idea any further. I allowed the light of my candle to burn out.
The documentary put that joyful hope back into my spirit and I began to get so excited. As a Bonner Scholar I obviously want to help make the world a better place, but for me this trip is more about redemption. I know now that had I continued to push my school and spoken to more people I could have organized a benefit and helped make that difference. My opportunity is given to me now to help make the change in people's lives.
I truly am looking forward to and awaiting my adventure in New Orleans to help make a change, no matter how small, for those who years later are still suffering. I know now that my vice principal was wrong and I should have fought, so now I will. I will take on the tasks of rebuilding lives because it is still a serious problem and without the efforts of many volunteers will not be going away any time soon. I can't wait to get started and rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment