Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Can't Wait!!

I can't fall asleep the night before we leave for New Orleans. I honestly have no idea what to expect, but I am not nervous. In the past, I have not traveled very far even though I have always sought to. I feel that New Orleans is a once in a lifetime oppurtunity that I have the privilege to take part in with the Bonner Community Scholar program. The excitement builds every minute, and I'm sure the loooooong car ride there will be no different. Even though it may seem endless and I suffer from motion sickness, it's totally worth it.
After viewing the rest of Spike Lee's documentary "When the Levees Broke," the effects of Hurricane Katrina hit me hard. Even though I was too young to understand, I remember constantly watching the news about FEMA's actions, or failure to act in this case. I remember seeing clips from the infants and elderly outside the superdome helplessly waiting to pass away. It pains me to think that some houses in the lower 9th ward have not been touched since Katrina.
Overall, I'm most excited for Bonner bonding. We sometimes get caught up in our busy schedules at different sites. The Big Easy is a chance for us to take a well deserved break from our hectic schedules in order for us to spend time together and truely connect over a beyond great cause. Needless to say, I'm pumped to leave tomorrow!!
-Regina Zick

No comments:

Post a Comment