Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pre - Trip New Orleans

The film "When The Levees Broke" by Spike Lee gave us a more in depth view of the lives of the victims of natural disasters and specifically victims of Hurricane Katrina. This disaster hardened even more the lives of the poor and unfortunate that were already living in New Orleans. I can only imagine how much heartache the families of loved ones faced when they were notified of the devastating news. The film also opened the eyes of people like myself that were still unaware of how bad the conditions are still in New Orleans. Years have gone by and a lot of people have the 'out of sight, out of mind' outtake on New Orleans and the areas surrounding it. I believe that after seeing the film, that it's my job to make people more aware of the disaster and the long term effects that it had.

Being new to the Bonner Scholars Program I am excited to mention that this will be my first trip to New Orleans. From what I've heard, it is an amazing experience and a great 'eye-opener'. Watching films such as "When the Levees Broke" only motivates me to make as much of a difference that I can working and rebuilding.
However, I am looking forward to the trip and am counting down the hours until we depart! I know it will be a great experience and a lot of fun!

J.B

No comments:

Post a Comment