Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"New Orleans is fighting for its life. These are not people who will disappear quietly — they're accustomed to hardship and slights, and they'll fight for New Orleans” –Spike Lee

As I sat and watched Spike Lee's documentary “When the Levees Broke”, it was the first time I actually felt some type of emotion towards the devastation that occurred years ago. Lee did an excellent job of capturing the raw emotion and people in the situation. Hurricane Katrina occurred when I was going in to the eight grade. At that time, I was not mature enough to grasp the concept and truly see the desperation of the people in the Lower Ninth Ward. Viewing the documentary with a more mature mind, my eyes have been opened to how much damage, emotional and physical, have occurred to the residents, and how much still needs to be done.

Growing up, I always loved helping others. I think I am infatuated with that feeling that you get when you know you have lifted someone’s spirit. While watching the documentary, it was evident that the people of New Orleans experience a blow to their spirit. During my trip, I am looking forward to lifting the spirits of as many people as I can. I am looking forward to being proactive and making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment