Monday, January 9, 2012

When asked to blog and write about how my experience on this trip was I must admit I felt at a loss for emotions. We drove around the city looking at all the homes and honestly, I was shocked by what I was seeing. The lack of homes in the lower ninth was enough to put me at a loss for words. I imagined this neighborhood with tons of children and families. I even pictured an old man on his porch yelling at everyone. It was a typical neighborhood with kind and loving people. Today the area is dead. Even the grass is the ground is brown and dead. The once thriving community Is practically a ghost town.I began to look around at all the different stores. There are so many home improvement stores and so many empty buildings that used to have signs above them that have since fallen down. I looked upon this rundown world and I wondered why these people wanted to come back. It was then that we passed a supermarket that had been transformed into a place of worship. At the time I did not know what to think of that circumstance. Then we returned to United Saints and I began to write in my journal. There was a quote at the bottom, “Grass withers, flowers fade, but the word of God stands forever.” I though this quote was perfect. While the rest of their world was dreary and rundown their faith stood. After that I began to notice there were places of worship everywhere. These people have been through so much and so many people look at New Orleans and only see Bourbon street. That is not all this city it. This city is a living and breathing and loving community. There are real people who live here and they are not living on Bourbon street. It is an amazing place with amazing people and I am so glad to be here helping to rebuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment