Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pre NOLA thoughts...

As many upperclassmen Bonners feel - our service sites/projects can often become second nature or even “easy”. For the most part tackling a CEL day, though once overwhelming, can now take just a few days of planning…for myself – mentoring/tutoring is so enjoyable it barely seems to be “hard work” at all…


What never comes “easy” though? Service trips. They challenge you in a brand new way – whether you are a first timer or you are a 10th time returner. Because of that I feel blessed to be a chaperone supporting those attending their first trip, yet enjoying the beauty and spirit of NOLA as I return for my 2nd time…


As I blog tonight I’m glancing at my pile of belongings – sleeping bag, pillow, duffle bag, and backpack. I’m not one who enjoys packing so lightly but somehow this pile looks comforting to me – I guess its knowing that I’ll be in great company in an amazing place part of a 10 day long journey that will ultimately keep my mind open to the truth of our country: there is much to be done…


My first time at New Orleans I remember the amount of hard work the week was - waking early, working almost 8 hours for 5 days and, in the end, reflecting on the years of contribution overall from many groups --- the gift of service in NOLA has yet to completely fill in the damage created from Hurricane Katrina…


But this stirs something inside all of us and so we find ourselves ready to work…


As I work this week I will keep my mind concentrated on the words of Henry Ford: “whether you think you can or you cant, you’re right.” If I think I can build something new…if I think I can see a different perspective…If I think I can find inspiration in the still damaged areas… I know I absolutely will.


Because one aspect of this trip is about experiencing the magic and service of NOLA in the right mindset… I hope I can encourage that in the new bonners and empower them to see their own growth when they challenge themselves a little more than they are used to… I hope that for myself my fellow chaperones will push me outside my comfort zone as well – because these service trips are truly hard work, inside and out…And from that work: the best service leaders & teams are grown…


48 hours surrounded by 16 peers in 1 van.

24 hours to arrive at NOLA and 24 hours to return home at TCNJ.


I believe, though its exhausting, that ride is the very much needed time to reflect on what is and what can be done - not just on the house this week in NOLA but within ourselves…to return home with an even stronger passion for what we are capable of as a team in Trenton…and even more importantly – what we can do when we dedicate our hearts to one solid mission: service.


Bonner Love,

Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment