Friday, January 13, 2012

NOLA blog

Coming back to New Orleans for a second time in the past year, I did not expect to have the same reaction as I did the first time. I came in May with no idea what condition the city has been in and I was in complete shock of the conditions down here. Since I new what to expect, I thought this time would be easier but as we drove in and I still say the destruction, I had to hold back tears. I know it has only been a couple of months since my last visit but for some reason I expected to see noticable changes.

This past week in NOLA has been such an incredible experience. I enjoyed really being able to go into the French Quarter and experience the culture. They take so much pride in their culture, especially their support for their football teams. It was so great to see how the city unites together in such a simple thing as a football game. Also, people here are so friendly. You cna walk by a random stranger and they will smile at you or say hello which is completely different from what I am used to. It was refreshing to see all this and really showed me how the people in NOLA are so strong and united, even after the destruction they faced. They really are appreciative of what we come here to do and it makes me even more excited to help out in whatever way I can while I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment