Wednesday, January 4, 2012

NOLA: my first trip

I have known that I would be lucky enough to join the service trip to New Orleans for several months now and it's hard to believe we leave tomorrow. With helping to prepare and watching "When the Levees Broke", this ethereal NOLA dream has slowly started to become a reality. I could not be more excited and am incredibly grateful for the chance to go.

I've seen many of my friends go for trips quite similar to that which we are about to embark on and though I've read stories and watched the news and documentaries on the storm and its aftermath, it's clear that the perspective one gains from visiting and serving in the city is not replicable on the internet. There has not been a friend who has returned without an almost tangible sense of gratitude, humility and new perspective and I look forward to learning as they have.

Since I've never really seen a recovery process like this without the lens of media it's hard for me to get a sense of what it is going to be like down there, but what I do know is that this is a rich opportunity in front of us. It's chance to help the people of New Orleans, a chance to build relationships, and, most importantly, a chance to learn from their experience and what qualities have pulled them collectively and individually through such hardship.

This is going to be cool...

No comments:

Post a Comment