Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Time to Louisiana!

Happy New Year 2012!

I cannot think of a better way to start off the new year than with a volunteer trip down to New Orleans, Louisiana, with some of the best people at TCNJ! This is not my first trip of this nature, and past experience tells me it is going to be a lot of fun! Every Bonner gasps over the opportunity to go to NOLA. I have been reading other blogs up to this moment, 12 hours before we depart, and I have found some relatable feelings.

First off, I cannot imagine how this 20+ hour car ride can be jolly roger the whole day down, but maybe I am wrong, never tried it. This will be my second round trip 20 hour car ride as I just arrived back from Memphis on New Years Day, visiting my sister and newborn nephew.

Secondly, the best part of the trip, no doubt, WILL be bonding with my fellow Bonners. I am a first year Bonner yet also a junior, I have only a year and a half left to make some deep Bonner friendships!

Finally, the experience in New Orleans will be unforgettable. I have not been to a place hit with such devastation, I am not sure what to expect really. Knowing what others know about Hurricane Katrina and the damage it caused, it is hard picturing anything less than tragic. I am feeling nervous. Nervous for what I will see and how I will handle it. I also feel eager to get going and help out, and eager for bonding with fellow Bonners. If I have to spend my last 10 days of winter break on a trip, I could not imagine a better one.

"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop." - Mother Teresa

Bonner Love,
Tim O.

No comments:

Post a Comment