Monday, January 9, 2012

In NOLA Blog 1

To start…I cannot begin to describe how awesome it has been to bond with my fellow Bonners, especially the freshmen Bonners.  I feel as if I have made a ton of new friends.  Now, I’m not saying that these people weren’t friends before this trip; instead, I feel that between bonding on the vans and exploring New Orleans, I have gotten to know some of my fellow Bonners on a much more personal level.Even though roaming the city has been awesome, I am ready to start the work week.  However, I am a little worried about the weather.  I heard that there was going to be scattered thunderstorms throughout the 9th and 10th.  I also heard that most of the work that we will be doing is outside.  I cannot help but ask, “What will we work on if it rains?” It is my understanding that painting will be a big part of our service here in New Orleans.  How will we paint outside if it’s raining?  I didn’t think that was possible.
I was told that one of the most important parts of this trip is meeting people from the area.  So far, all of the people I have met ar ewearing sports jerseys.  Because the national champion game hype has taken over the city, one cannot help but become excited for them.  Also, it is amazing to see millions of different fans from rival teams walking together and talking together.   I did not see or hear about a single fight breaking out in the street (or in a bar).  To me, that’s amazing.
One of the most shocking things that I saw (so far) was the emptiness of the lower Ninth Ward.  When I learned that the blocks used to be full of houses, I was flabbergasted. Also, to add insult to injury, tour buses drive through the lower Ninth every day, just so people can gawk and take pictures of the devastation. 
All of this gives me a moment of pause, and it keeps me motivated to have the energy needed for tomorrow.   I feel that I am accomplishing something,even if it is for one person.  It is worth it. 
~Chelsea Sandmeyer

No comments:

Post a Comment