Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pre-Trip

As our trip is quickly approaching, I have become even more excited to be going to New Orleans once again. I haven't gone with Bonner but in May of this year I was able to go to New Orleans to do service with the campus club Union Latina. When I went in May I hadn't really been exposed to NOLA's condition besides what I have heard through the news and fellow Bonners who had gone on the trip, so it was a big eye-opening experience to me. I was shocked at the devastation and how bad the conditions are still down there, years after the Hurricane. I was actually able to meet my homeowner and she told us of her story and how long she had to wait to be able to finally live in her home, years later. The people down there were so welcoming and very appreciative of what they had and the volunteers and it really made me change my perspective of things. It was definitely one of the best experiences I have had.

Going back months later, I hope to see some improvement in NOLA. Now I know what to expect so I hope that this experience will be a little different from the initial shock I had the first time I went. I am very excited to be able to go back to New Orleans and continue to help repair the conditions there. I am sure this will be a very meaningful experience to everyone and am excited to share it with everyone who is going! See you all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment