Sunday, January 15, 2012


My final experiences of New Orleans were really great! I was able to briefly see for myself the great initiatives that the Arc had been taking in recycling mardi gras beads while giving adults with disabilities job opportunities through the company.

I was able to spend the majority of my day at The Green Project, assisting in the recycling process of materials from damaged homes such as lumber, windows, doors, mantles and paints. This site was by far one of the most unique and certainly one of my favorites.

Overall this trip allowed us to gain perspective on not only the reality of the disaster that had occurred several years ago but also how the effects of the hurricane are still taking a toll on the city in various aspects. We had a great opportunity to experience these sites and rebuild the city, although it prevented us from rebuilding homes as we had initially intended. The last night in the city was surreal because I could not believe how quickly the week had gone by. We were working hard and had done so much that for me, all of the days had kind of blended together. Friday night in particular however was a great night, because I was able to let loose and sing my head off during karaoke with some of the greatest people I have met- not only through the Bonner program but at TCNJ as well.

I would go back to that night and replay certain parts over and over again because all I need in my life is good people and some good laughs.
I hope to be able to spend some time with the friends I have gotten closer to this week throughout the spring semester, and continue to do great things together in Jersey.








I now also have confidence in my van driving and vocal skills - just for the record.
B<3! Gargweelow

No comments:

Post a Comment