Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Just a few thoughts before the trip begins...

                The trip to New Orleans is rapidly approaching.  Granted, I am excited to return to the South (and experience some warmth in the wintertime), but I am a little worried about a few things.  For one, I am not really looking forward to being stuck in a van for 24 hours…straight.  I already spent 16 hours in a car over the past week.  I went to my dad’s house… he lives in Erie, Pennsylvania.  That is the northernmost point in the state of Pennsylvania, and Canada is about 15 miles from the City of Erie.  Now, I am going to spend an entire day in a van.  I have recently come to realize that I will be traveling from one tip of the United States to the other.  I don’t mind being in a moving vehicle, but I don’t exactly celebrate it either.  At least I will be in good company.
                Another thing I am worried about the actual work that I will be doing in New Orleans.  I’m not that good with power tools, and I don’t want to paint every day (even though I rather enjoy painting).  I just hope that I don’t hurt myself or mess up something.  I can be kind of clumsy sometimes.  Also, I don’t know how I will feel when I see all of the damage that still exists in New Orleans.  Even though I saw footage of the wreckage during a screening of When the Levees Broke, I am unsure if I am ready for the shock.  I heard that there is still a lot of damage in parts of New Orleans from Hurricane Katrina.  To me, that’s unbelievable.  I suppose that our work will be making a difference…it will show that people still care about fixing the damage even though it isn’t shown on the news anymore.  It seems that when I tell people about my upcoming trip, they thank me for spending my time on such a worthwhile cause, and it motivates me.
                Honestly, I really can’t wait to bond with my fellow freshmen Bonners.  They all live in the same dorm and on the same floor (except for three of us).  Over the past semester I have watched their relationships blossom and grow, and I can’t help but want that, too.  Although I was in a class with them, it’s not the same as living in close proximity.  I live not only on a different floor, but a different building on campus.  Even though my dorm is right next to theirs, I feel disconnected from them.  I am definitely looking forward to the bonding.
                I am excited to experience New Orleans.  I used to live in the South, as I was born in Texas. However, I moved from the Lone Star state to South Carolina when I was a mere six months old.  My parents continually tell me that I have been to all of these places, but I don’t remember them.  I am excited to see the Deep South (even though most of it will be from the window of a van).  After I moved from South Carolina, I lived in Virginia for about four years.  I hope we drive through the Appalachian Mountains.  I lived in these mountains, and I miss them.  When I graduate, I am planning on going back to the mountains; nonetheless, seeing them on the way to New Orleans would be wonderful…just wonderful.  I guess I am just excited to take part in new experiences and relive some old ones. 

~Chelsea Sandmeyer

No comments:

Post a Comment