Thursday, January 12, 2012

NOLA Blog 3

I cannot even begin to describe how awesome the past two days of servicehave been. I was part of a work group that had the privilege of going to theARC of Greater New Orleans.  Not only didthis establishment employ people with developmental disabilities, but they hadan entire program dedicated to recycling Mardi Gras beads. Now, I’m on theEnvironment Team in Bonner, and I was under the impression that all of my workwould consist of building houses.  Eventhough this is a wonderful form of service, it’s not my favorite. This pastsemester I learned that there is more to service than just helping people one-on-one.  When working on “eco-friendly” causes, Ifound that I can help better the environment for groups of people. Even thoughI may not meet people face-to-face, it still benefits someone. This semester Idiscovered that my favorite service days were CEL days for the Environment Team.Going to New Orleans’ ARC reminded me of an Environment Team CEL day, and it wasso exciting to have other people experience that kind of service work, too.

     Anotherthing that has made these past couple of service days so much fun is the uniquenessof the tasks. Nowhere in New Jersey will I sort Mardi Gras beads for a goodcause. I feel as if I am being immersed in the culture of this city and takingpart in one of its traditions. I may have never experienced a real New OrleansMardi Gras, but I can now say that I had some part in helping create the MardiGras 2012 experience for townspeople and visitors.


     Ifeel as if I have bonded with my fellow Bonners even more. I can even say thatI have made some pretty good friendships on this trip...and I don’t want theserelationships to end when life goes back to normal. They won’t end…I will makesure of it.


     Ido not know what the next few days will have in store, but my experiences hereto this date have been heartwarming. Between the people and the spirit of thecity, I never cease to be amazed. Despite the disaster that this area hassuffered in the past, it doesn’t hinder their activities in the present.

~ChelseaLynne Sandmeyer

No comments:

Post a Comment