Wednesday, January 11, 2012

NOLA BLOG 2

So Nola is being awesome as always! I have enjoyed every moment here whether I am out doing service or enjoying the exciting city. Tonight I am going to Frenchman's street I don't know what to expect but some really great Nola jazz.
Earlier we were at the rescue mission and then the food bank where we have packaged thousands of pounds of food that will feed thousands of families that are in need in the south Louisiana area. Our efforts at the rescue mission have been helping clean up the New Orleans rescue mission for their appearance on TV hopefully increasing donations

Even though we might not be building houses we are still doing a lot to help Nola recoup. It still seems to be a long time until the city has a full recovery. What really has hit home for me is the magnitude of houses that are boarded up and irreversibly damaged. Every residential community I have been in has had abandoned houses everywhere, places where families previously thrived. I sometimes find myself wondering where they went if the X on the door didn't show that a dead people were inside. I is really upsetting to see that. Something that also really hit home for me were the remarkable pet stories of pets that survived the storm. Animals would swim to floating objects and stay there for days. I really care for living things and it was something that really affected me.

On a lighter note, It still ceases to amaze me the spirit that the city still holds everyone is just so friendly and welcoming. Southern hospitality holds true for the city of New Orleans. I have most likely never liked a city as much as Nola in such a short time span. I think our work here is really making a difference. If anyone can do it TCNJ Bonners can!

-Nick DiMauro

No comments:

Post a Comment